Thursday, June 7, 2012

Well look at that! #3 Giant carrots

One of my duties here will be helping with menu/grocery shopping organization. Each morning we meet to discuss what is available in the markets and how much is needed for the size groups we have. This week we've been cooking for between 40 and 70. The volumes are usually things like 30 pounds of potatoes, 4 dozen mangoes...so imagine my surprise when the head cook recommended we buy 5 carrots. I asked, "Is 5 pounds enough for the whole salad?" She said, "No--not 5 pounds just 5 carrots." Then I saw the carrots. 

this is a pen, a potato, and two carrots
I thought they were big yams when I saw them. It sure makes the peeling go fast!
Now, my Dad has grown some big ol carrots before. Sometimes a plant would be overlooked during picking and sit and grow large through the fall--and by the time we ate the giant carrots they were woody and flat tasting. But these are just as sweet as the teeny tiny ones.

You don't see that every day! (well, I guess I do.)

yes, there were bigger ones than these


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?