Sunday, June 17, 2012

Plentiful Harvest

Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

For as long as I can remember, my mom has been quoting these verses at me when I complained about having to fill the ice cube trays, or mop the kitchen. I know these verses, and have quoted them at whine-y kids myself, at times--but until this week I didn't really get it.

This week at the Mision, we had almost 70 visiting workers from Olive Branch Ministries and the Southern New Mexico area. That's 70 folks to cook and clean up after, 70 sets of towels and sheets to wash, 70 x 7 questions asked and items to be fetched for someone (always from upstairs if you are downstairs, of course.)

I don't say this in a complaining voice--that is why I came here, and this is the work I signed up to do. But until this week, I didn't understand how important this work is.

It took the "closed system" of living in the mision for me to see it.

Most of the 70 who came to work were running mobile medical clinics, and others were working on ongoing school construction. Nicaraguan translators, project leaders, and evangelists always accompanied the work teams. As the crowds gathered to access the medical services, the local Nicaraguan team would visit with them. Some signed up for Bible studies. Soon there was a baptism. Then another. And more. 

By the end of the week hundreds of physical needs had been addressed and more than 20 had accepted Christ and been baptized. Now a new church is being planted in that town, and the local ministers are busy at work on plans to help these "seedlings" grow strong in faith.

doesn't the baptistry look like a coffin? fitting, huh?


If I didn't wash the dishes, and make the beds, the medical providers couldn't have come to work. If the doctors hadn't come, no crowds would have gathered. If there were no crowds the evangelists would never have met the people God had prepared to receive His message.

1st Corinthians 3 says; "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. For we are co-workers in God’s service; 

Maybe in my life right now the verse would read: "Jonathan put gas in the van, Marina cooked the chicken, Sheila made the coffee, Luis preached the gospel, Estella mopped the floor, Dr. Patti examined the patients, but God changes hearts. All of us have one purpose, for we are co-workers in God's service."

And you are too. Today your work may seem to go unnoticed, it may not feel exciting or important--but it may be exactly the link in the chain that helps complete God's purposes. 

We are co-workers in God's service. 
And I can't wait for the company party!

1 comment:

What do you think?