Monday, April 1, 2013

Fruit of the day: oranges?

OK. So something that I have noticed here in Jinotega is that specific names for every single thing are not that important. There are several dozen types of mangoes around here--but they are all just called "mango". Imagine the big grocery store in your town--now replace all those apple varieties with different mango varieties. But make sure all the signs just say "mango". Soft, yellow and the size of a plum--purple and orange and as big as a cantaloupe--sweet and soft, sour and firm--yellow, green, purple, orange, peach. Just mango.

It's also that way with oranges. Oranges grow all around down here. Some are ripe when still green, some are yellow and splotchy, some are--well, orange. But I mean really, really, I'm-going-to-a-large-university-in-Texas-orange.  Big  and full of seeds and juice, or small meaty mandarins, and some--well, some aren't really oranges at all. But in the market, lots of things are called "naranjas" (oranges).

the grandmother of a sister at church brings these in from the mountains for us sometimes

My last trip to the market I encountered some truly ugly, weird looking citrus. I asked the guy what they were called, and he said "beer oranges". Another person I asked said they were "lime oranges". 

but seriously, it was really bumpy
a large central hole and very yellow flesh
I took a bite and my face imploded. It was more sour than a lemon--and, just different somehow. In the same way that grapefruit and lime taste different from oranges or lemons but all have something in common--this was like some lemony, orange-y, cousin. After eating just one segment, I decided to juice them. Although they seemed very dry compared to the oranges we usually have around here, just two fruits produced almost a pint of juice. 


I hear you yawning. This is your exciting tropical fruit of the day? Oranges? But let me show you another fruit called "naranjas".

ok-technically this is called "naranjita" which is "little orange" even though it is much bigger than a mandarin orange

The skin is thin and smooth like a tomato, and the fruit feels heavy and juicy. Inside it is full of tiny seeds and a creamy beige pulp, surrounded by a fruit meat that is pear-like in texture.


My guess based on the best help google image search could provide is that it must be some type of persimmon. But big, and the flavor was not astringent as the persimmons were described to be. It was mild. Maybe like a slightly bitter raw potato. Only sweeter. I confess, I did not finish it. It went straight to the kids outside, who ate it all spitting out some of the seedier parts.

So---you say tomato, I say potato: and everything around here is evidently just called orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?