Saturday, April 13, 2013

Fruit of the day: carambola


I feel like I am lying with the title of this post. Exactly zero people I know call this fruit carambola. That is a word I got from a translating site on the internet. Locally, this fruit is known as "melocoton". You have probably seen it and called it "star fruit".

hmm...wonder how it got the name star fruit?
I think I would be a bigger fan of this fruit if it was called carambola instead of melocoton. "Melocoton" or "durazno" is translated "peach". This really couldn't  be less like a peach if it had feathers or feet. It's not bad--it's just not a peach--which can confuse your mouth when you tell it to say, "Pass me a peach." and then feed it a star fruit.
The skin is waxy, and the inside is juicy and firm, but without a classic fibery-fruity texture. Kind of like a very firm grape inside. It is tart without being citrus-y. The yellow ones (I'm assuming more ripe) taste very different from the green ones. Green they are like a grape-textured sour apple. The yellow ones taste slightly more floral, a touch sweeter, but still very tangy.
Another way star fruit is not like peaches is the price. I will definitely be filling up on these melocotons  and not the duraznos!

12 melocoton for 6 Cordoba (about a quarter)
1 can of melocotons for 90 Cordoba (almost 4 bucks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?