Monday, July 16, 2012

Dirty Feet

Yesterday I bought some shoes. They are ugly, and kinda too big--but I needed something that I could stick on quickly inside the mission once my tennis shoes have been retired for the day. I have had to accept that you can never be barefoot here. No matter how frequently we mop, the street muck is going to get tracked indoors on the bottoms of people's shoes--and the street muck here is just not healthy.

It has made me think about John 13 when Jesus washed some guys' feet. I've always paid the most attention to the part when Jesus explains that he was making an example of service for us. But I usually just read fast over verses 6-10 and don't think much about them. (hit the links to read for yourself).

Someone who has taken a bath is clean, but needs his feet washed. I feel it every day here. No matter how carefully I try to keep my feet clean, it's just not possible. Even when I step out of the shower and am putting on my shoes--my feet are already dirty.

I have been thinking about how this foot washing episode is also a model of how unable we are to "clean" ourselves. That's not something I typically dwell on. I don't think I pause often enough to reflect on how completely helpless I am to be holy. I can't do it. I just can't. But Jesus will wash that part of me that I just can't keep clean. He washes my feet to remind me that all my effort still can't keep the muck of the street out from between my toes--that's His job alone.

Jesus answered him, “ If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.”
“Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?