Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Fruit of the day: jocotes

With the mission staff on vacation, I have time to wander the market looking for new treats to try. I'll share my fruity findings for the next few days.

I thought I'd start with an important one: jocotes



There are several varieties available at different times of the year. Some have a tougher, bumpier skin. some ripen yellow instead of red. But these are the best. They are a type of wild plum. And when red, ripe, and soft are sweet like a plum. They have a big gigantic pit, so you need to eat a bowlful. That's no problem, as there are mountains of them lining the streets. A bag of around 50 sell for 20 cordobas. (less than a dollar).

These are probably Jonathan's favorite Nicaraguan treat. He likes them dead red ripe. People here also like to eat the green ones which are sour. Several ladies I met today in the market were buying huge quantities to make a dish called "cuznaca" (which I have not tried) that, if my listening skills were accurate, involves boiling and baking the jocotes along with rice, cinnamon, sugar, and onions. (yea, I know. I asked like 3 times, they totally said onions.)

they're tiny
but packed with juicy flavor
and mostly full of pit

2 comments:

  1. Rice, cinnamon, sugar... and onions?! Are they like the Texas sweet onions, except, like, really, really, really sweet?!

    Let us know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe sounds strange but interesting. Blog pictures if you try it. I might try copying it with plums. MOM

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?