Friday, February 24, 2012

Mofeta!

It's been about a month now that Jonathan and I have been apart. One way I've decided to deal with this is celebrate the things that are great about living alone again. I can turn the TV up as loud as I want, I can change all the radio presets to NPR, nobody leaves little crumpled up balls of napkin anywhere in the house. But focus on the positive all you can--there are still sometimes you just need backup.

For example, tonight when I got home the dogs were throwing a fit in the back yard. We have two dachsunds, which added together are hardly tall enough to be a real dog, yet they were jumping an easy 4 feet up on the chain link fence of the dog run. Of course it's only after  I let them out that I see the skunk.

Now for any of you who have tried to wrestle two dogs away from a cornered skunk with only a push broom--you know that I was in need of an extra pair of hands. Can you just see it? I'd get one dog to a safe zone, try to pick it up while holding the other off with the broom. Just as I'm making progress moving the dog and skunk apart the one I'm holding would jump down and the whole dance would repeat.

Remarkably, neither I nor the dogs ended up wearing au de skunk parfume. Our little woodland friend wandered away and everything turned out hunky-dory. But in these kinds of moments being boss of the remote is small satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?