Saturday, February 28, 2015

Two weeks

Two Thursdays ago, we were granted custody of some beautiful people. We are now in a time of "adaptation" that should culminate in the legal process of "adoption". Officially, from a paperwork point of view, the process has just begun. Emotionally, from a bonding and healing point of view, the process has just begun. And yet, in some difficult to articulate way--there is a feeling of completion rather than initiation. There is some deep sigh of the heart finally at rest. There is some "click" of everything at last lining up in it's correct place.

How can it only be two weeks?

Two weeks ago, we had a special "meeting" to talk about what a family is. We clinked milk glasses, and signed pretend signatures to papers agreeing to work on being a family. Jonathan and I talked about what one, first "rule" or expectation did we need to present--just one thing to focus on for safety's sake. So at this special "meeting" we practiced Rule #1: "When we call, you come." As the week progressed, we gradually saw the power of our response to their calls as well. The phrases that have been said most often in our house these last few weeks are "Aqui estoy!" and "Me voy!" ("I am here!" and "I am coming!")

As I shout these words hundreds of times daily through bathroom doors, and from under piles of blankets, and across playgrounds, it is so clear to me, that I am not merely answering these little people, I am quoting scriptural promises.

From Genesis to Jesus final words at His ascension, The Book is full of God calling back to his insecure children, " I am with you." "I am coming."

These little ones need so much reassurance that these new parents of theirs can be counted on. And I will tell them a thousand times, " I am here." " I am coming."

Just as my Father keeps reassuring me every time I forget, or let fear take hold:

He is with me.
And He is coming.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and profound. So happy for you. Thanks be to God. "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in you. " Is. 26:3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Sheila! My heart breathed a sigh of rest at those words, too. I can only imagine what your little ones feel as they learn minute by minute and day by day that they can count on you, just like we count on Him. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?