Friday, September 26, 2014

Fruit of the day: Ciruela de coco

Some great friends brought me a new snack to try called "ciruela de coco." This is one of those moments when burgeoning bilingualism is just plain confusing. Translated, "ciruela de coco" is "plum of the coconut" or "coconut plum". The English name of this fruit is "cocoplum"--not "coconut plum" and it has absolutely nothing to do with coconuts in any way at all. It doesn't look like a coconut, grow on a tree that looks like coconut, taste anything like a coconut. So for absolutely no reason it's just called coco. Cuckoo.

But it's delicious!


The fruit are small, roughly Cordoba sized, with a smooth, thin skin.

  **special hint: quarters and Cordobas are very similarly sized**

It was recommended by the fruit bringers to peel the skin. It is probably fine to eat the skin (if you aren't in a dirty market in central america, and you can like, wash it off and stuff) but I make a point here to accept the advice "don't eat that" in a place where people eat plenty of stuff that previously, I might have found questionable. Think I'm exaggerating? See for yourself. (click here)

What's not questionable, is the deliciousness of these tasty little fruits. Soft, super sweet, and pleasantly juicy, they are very plum-like. To me, there was a definite reminiscence of grape as well. It may be the novelty, but after a handful I was thinking I had never had a fruit I'd enjoyed so much. Nothing overpowering, a mild smell, and a flavor that, while different, was somehow familiar.



Inside, there are three fairly large seeds. They were so dark and shiny, I felt guilty for spitting them in the trash, and felt somehow, that I should've been polishing them and stringing them into a funky tribal necklace or something. I later read here that the roasted seeds can be eaten and are supposedly almond-ish.

So a big giant thanks to friends who climbed trees and brought me an exciting new taste treat!

Post Script--OK, I found the answer to the "why is it called coconut, when it is so un-coconut-y" mystery. The hint was hiding in the scientific name all along. The "coco" part of the name is just a mispronunciation of the original Arawak indian name of the plant: ikaku. Thanks, internet. You're the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?