Saturday, October 26, 2013

Fruit of the day: Pejibaye???

Jonathan is fresh back from another trip up the Rio Coco, and he returned with some fantastic gifts--including a weird fruit. The folks up there called it "supa" (pronounce it "soup-uh") We aren't really sure if that's a Miskito or Spanish name. Jonathan said that they grew on some type of palm tree. My  best guess is that they are some wild version of the peach palm fruit. science-y stuff here


The fruits are small and hard with a very slick, thin skin.  Jonathan shared that the experts did not eat the skin, so neither did I. They have one central pit, and a very dry, mealy, fibrous, almost woody flesh. The taste is incredibly mild--almost non existent. It has more aftertaste than actual taste. Not objectionable in any way--but also not sweet or familiar to any flavor I can recognize. A tiny bit like the nutty flavor of dry field corn perhaps? Jonathan said that he was served these fruit hot--he assumed they had been boiled, but that the flavor was relatively unchanged. He was surprised at how much he enjoyed them (but that could also just be a function of eating rice and beans for a week--or the delicious sauce of receiving the generous gift of people who have very little).



So an exciting new fruit! Supa. I am so amazed at how full the world is of "new" and interesting things waiting to be "discovered".

1 comment:

  1. I am from Nicaragua. I am happy to read about your experience with Supa. I love supa, its one of my favorite fruit. :-)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?