Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Fruit of the day: granadilla

I found this one in an actual grocery store in a near-by town. I have not found granadilla in our market in Jinotega, but I have been offered fruit drinks that included granadilla. After I tasted it, I understood why it was part of a mixed fruit drink.

It is big, and the outside is oddly sponge-y. It had almost no smell at all, and I wasn't really sure what part of it to eat--but decided I could figure out.
so very sqeazable! you can see all my finger indentations--it felt just like a damp sponge

Once I cut into it, I did not need a wikipdeia entry to let me know this is related to passion fruit and maracuya. Something I never would have guessed, as maracuya has such a tough, smooth and leathery skin.  But there is just no mistaking the family resemblance with that weird frog-spawn-seed-filled-goo that is so characteristic of maracuya


I knew just what to do. I grabbed a handful of the slimy seed filled sacks and popped them in my mouth.  I was expecting them to be as similar in taste to passion fruit as in appearance. But I was wrong. Their was very little taste at all. The seeds themselves were tangy and sour but the flesh surrounding them was just sort of wet and present. I can see why it is typically used to "fill out" another drink.

more info here

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?