Sunday, December 9, 2012

Home Church

As we prepared to make this particular "run" back to The States, many people asked me if we were going to be able to visit our "home church." I'm sure I made my answer longer than necessary (and not just because that is my particular gift) because I didn't quite know how to respond. Is my home church the one I was at last? The one I was at longest? The ones that financially support me? The one where I have the most friends? What makes it "home"? And my answer probably sounded preachy and Sunday school-ish referring to how everywhere the Church is one--and we are all family wherever we are--and I am home wherever I am--blah blah blah.

But I mean all that. I just couldn't quite sum it up.
Worshiping here in Deming, New Mexico the last few weeks has helped the picture solidify in my mind--maybe I can explain:

There is something so deeply alike about worshiping in Deming and Jinotega. Both congregations will have around 40 people. Both rotate through a list of men to preach, or lead singing. Both use buildings that sometimes cause distractions--too cold, loud fans, too many dogs, noisy streets. Both struggle to find bible class teachers, and have little in the way of supplies. Neither have what some would consider exciting programs or events that they are promoting. Both are populated by members that are not most marketer's demographic target.

But the feeling of familiarity between the two is not about the physical, temporal similarities.

I think it might be about the announcements.

In Jinotega and Deming the announcements are anticipated instead of begrudged. They are full of detailed and specific information about members' lives--and the entire audience wants to know all of it. Did you really hear that part? People want to hear the announcements.

In Deming and Jinotega, the big draw--the part nobody would miss--is the shaking hands and hugging  before and after the formal assembly. What makes these two congregations so alike is that they want to congregate. They want to be together. Nobody is rushing out the door to get back to where they'd rather be. Nobody is ducking behind a ficus tree to avoid talking to that one weird guy. Nobody is prearranging signals with their spouse to avoid a lunch invitation from the family whose kids they'd rather not hang around with. Nobody is timing their exit from a row of pews to be sure and miss that woman they're kind of put out with.

Neither group is particularly glamorous or overtly lovable. In both buildings you're gonna end up hugging somebody who smells kinda funny. In both worship services the members will have to pull together to pull the song leader out of the mess he's gotten us all into. The scripture reader might not be particularly literate, or the teacher may forget what he was going to say. The listeners in each auditorium must be patient, and work hard to understand--to overcome hearing issues or second language issues. In both assemblies, you will hear an update on a brother who is struggling with the same struggle he's been struggling with since the last time you were there. But the brothers will still care about him, still ask about him, still pray together for him.

At this time of year, it seems everywhere I look I see some stylized vignette of "home".  But what is it that makes home so special? What is that intangible something that Pilsbury and Folgers and Halmark commercials are trying so hard to make us visualize?

To me--home is where people will tell, and listen to the same tired stories again and again. Where the projects that are not up to Pinterest standards are still celebrated. Where your hair can stick up and you can smell kinda funny, and still get your hugs. We want home to be the place where each person is not just accepted but cherished.

Isn't that what we want a home church to be?

So how do Jinotega and Deming do it? They are bodies with plenty of problems. They each have plenty of reasons to become discouraged. But they sincerely love each other--and when they focus on that, they make a beautiful home.

So start listening to the announcements. Maybe you'll realize you are home.

John 13: 34-35 “I give you a new command. Love one another. You must love one another, just as I have loved you. If you love one another, everyone will know you are my disciples.”

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog (not that it required any outlandish sleuthing skills, since you posted a link to it on Facebook!) and I LOVE reading about your experiences. You are a really good writer, and skilled at getting to the heart of a matter. (Plus, I can totally hear your voice while I'm reading, which is awesome.)

    You seem to take "home" with you wherever you go, and that is a true gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! That means so much coming from you. Miss you, and think of you often. So glad to know you are kind of here with me in this wacky adventure.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?