Monday, November 5, 2012

Buy a calendar--pay the rent

We've got about 20 of these nifty calendars left for sale. We wanna sell 'em for fifteen bucks. You should buy one. Here's why:


You remember when you were learning what a budget was, and were told to have an emergency fund? I'm not talking about a big pot set aside for big things like long term care--I just mean that little slush fund labeled "miscellaneous" that covers things like a flat tire, or buying pizza because you set the soup on fire, or those boots that were just too cute...

But what if those drips and drops of unplanned expenses were what swamped you? What if paying a taxi fare to get your sick kids to the clinic was what put you in the hole on your rent--(which is $21 per month) and caused your landlord to evict you on one day's notice? That's Iris' family's story. (top left) Or what if your Dad was away preaching out of town and couldn't get back on the day planned, so you didn't have any food in the house? That's Aaron's story. (bottom left)

Many of you support us financially to be here--and we are so grateful to you! I hope you are tangibly aware of the blessings of this partnership. Imagine the fun in Heaven as we all hear about the harvest brought about by the seeds planted in His service. As we get more and more involved in people's lives, as they truly become our brothers and sisters, it is normal and right to become more involved in the little dramas of their lives. That "miscellaneous" part of our budget gets stretched tighter and tighter. We know we aren't here just to be someone's safety net. But when you see someone falling--isn't it natural to reach out your arms if you can?

I've been reading so much lately about the differences in relative and absolute poverty. I am realizing that many of the "rules of thumb" I've been taught and have shared with others are most applicable in relative poverty. To my mind--absolute poverty prompts this response:

James 2:15 If you know someone who doesn’t have any clothes or food, 16 you shouldn’t just say, “I hope all goes well for you. I hope you will be warm and have plenty to eat.” What good is it to say this, unless you do something to help?


I hope this doesn't come across like some hard sell guilt trip. That's not what I'm trying to say at all. Becoming more involved in the little bumps in the road of people's lives is such a blessing to us--and I want you to get in on that. That's why I'm hawking these calendars. I know you can't be here, and see all the people we see, and get all the hugs we get, and get all the parasites we get....(oh wait, wrong direction--hee hee). 

That's why you should buy a calendar. On some bleak Tuesday in February when you are in a crummy mood because you feel bad that you just snapped at your husband for no good reason--maybe you'll look at the face of a kid on that calendar and think, "Yeah--I blew it, but God used my $15 to help that kid's family out that time when they were in an unexpected rough patch." And maybe it will make you smile. Or give someone a hug. Or give someone a parasite....(no, wait, that's wrong again).

Anyhow: calendars--parasite free--good feeling--fifteen bucks--email me or comment below if you want some and I'll hook you up.

coachandsheila@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?