Monday, April 16, 2012

Bar B Que

It's so great to have Jonathan back in Texas with me for a few weeks. First of all, I like him and enjoy actually being around him. Second, he is a handy sort of fellow with getting all the jobs of work done that I have not completed in preparation for my part of the move. So while he is here, I am doing my best to spoil him rotten with any indulgence I can think of.
For a Texan, of course, that means Bar B Que.
So yesterday we made a special trip to a famous Bar B Que joint to celebrate the wonder of stacks of meat slow cooked over an open pit. As we sat there among crowds of folks waiting in line for this special treat--we couldn't help but wonder what a Nicaraguan would think of the scene around us. Obviously--the volume of food in general, and meat specifically, would be remarkable. But what of the "special" cooking method? All these people lined up to pay extra for the food to be cooked over open flame...when each of the people in line have an electric/gas oven inside their house? I am amazed at how my perceptions are already changing--and I haven't even left town yet.
indoor kitchen--Nicaragua
traditional stove--Nicaragua

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?